Change an adult brief
• Wash hands, put on gloves and help the client get ready.
• Tuck a waterproof pad under the client’s buttocks to protect the bed.
• Undo the tape on both sides of brief.
• Turn the client on one side and bend their upper knee toward the chest.
• Wrap the dirty brief over itself to cover the soiled area inside.
• Clean and dry skin.
• Wipe between legs and buttocks with toilet paper or wet wipes.
• Clean the area with a washcloth, soap, and water. If female, always wipe from front to back.
• After turning the client and removing the dirty brief, gently pat the area with a clean bath towel. Place dirty brief in a bag and throw away (replace gloves if needed).
• Check the skin for sores and redness. If any are present, please notify your supervisor.
• To assist with putting on a new brief, open the brief so that it is flat on the bed.
• Tuck ½ of the brief as far as possible under the client.
• Roll the client to the other side.
• Spread the other ½ of the clean brief so it is flat on the bed.
• Roll the client on his back and fasten the tapes on both sides of the brief.
• Remove your gloves and wash your hands with warm soap and water.
**When should I contact Care Manager?
You see new sores.
You see a red rash or pimple-like bumps.
You see redness and dryness that is spreading.
You have concerns / questions about the client’s condition or care.
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.